PRINT | E-MAIL
Col. Sean D. Riley is commander of the 102nd Intelligence Wing, Otis Air National Guard Base, Massachusetts. He is responsible for the activities of 1,260 military and civilian personnel prepared to respond to domestic emergencies in the Commonwealth while training and maintaining readiness to accomplish wartime missions of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations, cryptologic intelligence, cyber engineering and installation support, medical, and expeditionary combat support.
Col. Riley earned his commission from the Academy of Military Science (AMS). He began his military career when he enlisted in the Air National Guard immediately upon graduation from high school. He was a drill status guardsman while attending college and became a fulltime member of the Massachusetts Air National Guard after graduating from Fitchburg State College. Prior to becoming an Intelligence Officer in 2008, he served as the wing Budget Officer and Comptroller. He also had a tour as a Budget Analyst for the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force Financial Management and Budget (SAF/FMB).
Prior to his current assignment, Col. Riley served as the commander of the 102nd Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Group. The 102 ISRG operates the AN/GSQ-272 “SENTINEL” weapon system at Distributed Ground Station-Massachusetts (DGS-MA) as part of the Air Force’s Distributed Common Ground System. The unit is comprised of 380 intelligence and support personnel performing the unit’s near-real-time intelligence processing, exploitation, and dissemination mission of analyzing and interpreting raw data from a number of sources and transforming this material into “decision quality” information and “actionable” intelligence. DGS-MA analysts rapidly disseminate this intelligence to air, ground and naval force component commanders for use in the planning and execution of military operations across the spectrum of conflict.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Fitchburg State College, Mass.
1994 Academy of Military Science, McGhee-Tyson ANG Base, Tenn.
2001 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2005 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2015 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 Master of Science, Quality Systems Management, National Graduate School, Falmouth, Mass.
1. May-June 1994, Student, Academy of Military Science, McGhee-Tyson ANG Base, Tenn.
2. July 1994-January 2003, Budget Officer, 102nd Fighter Wing, Otis ANGB, Mass.
3. February 2003-August 2003, Budget Analyst, Headquarters Air Force, SAF/FM, Pentagon, VA
4. September 2003-November 2008, Comptroller, 102nd Fighter Wing, Otis ANGB, Mass.
5. December 2008-July 2009, Student, Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
6. August 2009-January 2011, Flight Commander, 101st Intelligence Squadron, Otis ANGB, Mass.
7. February 2011-November 2012, Assistant Director Operations, 101st Intelligence Squadron, Otis ANGB, Mass.
8. December 2012-June 2014, Director of Operations, 101st Intelligence Squadron, Otis ANGB, Mass.
9. July 2014-July 2016, Commander, 101st Intelligence Squadron, Otis ANGB, Mass.
10. August 2016-April 2018, Deputy Group Commander, 202nd Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Group, Otis ANGB, Mass.
11. May 2018-June 2020, Commander, 102nd Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Group
12. June 2020-Present, Commander, 102nd Intelligence Wing
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
AF Outstanding Unit Award with eight oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Silver Hourglass and two 'M' Devices
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, June 1994
First Lieutenant, June 1996
Captain, June 1998
Major, July 2002
Lieutenant Colonel, December 2006
Colonel, June 2019